Fun Games To Play With Your Dog
Playing games with your dog can provide great benefits for both you and your dogs. Unfortunately, many people don’t spend nearly enough time playing with their dogs each day. They miss out on the fun of playing games with their dog and don’t realize how relaxing and enjoyable it can be.
Playing games with your dog is also great for your dog if he has any problems with boredom or anxiety. Dogs are different from people. It’s not hard to keep a dog active and busy. If you give a dog something to do and keep them busy, your dog will be happy. Ideally, if your dog spends time playing then it will help him use up some of his extra energy.
A simple game of fetch or time spent searching for hidden treats can keep your dog busy and use up lots of energy. Games such as these also require a lot of your dog’s mental energy. That means that these games will keep your dog’s attention and keep them entertained for quite a while.
Choosing the Right Games
No matter what kind of dog you have, there are lots of games you can play together to keep your dog happy and entertained. Games will also help the two of you bond and enjoy each other’s company. Here are some of the most popular doggy games and some of the best for keeping your dog happy and having a good time:
* Fetch: Fetch is a wonderful game to play with your dog. Some dogs, especially retrievers, will make you play this game non-stop. If you’re playing fetch with your dog you should try to control the session and control when your dog stops. Hide the toy (perhaps on a shelf) or give a command so your dog knows when it’s time to stop the game. You may be able to distract your dog with a treat or switch to another game.
* Hide and Seek: Hide and seek is an easy game to play and it’s fun for dogs. All you have to do is hide from your dog and call your dog to find you. When your dog finds you, you should become very excited to let you dog know he’s done a great job. Then you can make the game harder by hiding in spots that are harder to find.
* Treasure Hunt: Treasure hunt is a fun game that makes a dog use his brain. You can even use toys as part of the game. To play the game you should hide treats in different places around your house, or even in toys. Then send your dog to go find the treats.
* Trick Response: You can play this game by having your dog working to do the tricks he already knows. Use whatever tricks you have taught him in the past. Make sure you teach your dog the exact phrases or commands that you’re going to use in the game. Always praise and reward your dog for completing each trick. Dogs love this game, especially the praise and rewards.
* Tug of War: You can play tug of war with your dog by using a toy that is ONLY for tug of war. You also need to teach your dog the “drop it” command. You have to control the game so your dog knows to stop when you say the game is over. You can stop the game at any time by simply no longer tugging on the toy.
Dogs naturally play tug of war when they’re puppies and in the wild. Even if your dog doesn’t play right away, he will probably eventually catch on.
* Wrestling: Wrestling with your dog is lots of fun, especially for larger dogs. Dogs do need to wrestle gently. You will need to set boundaries for your dog. If he nips or gets too worked up you should stop playing in order to stop any unwanted behavior.
Ideally, you should make playing with your dog part of every day. It’s great exercise for your dog and a great way for the two of you to bond. Taking a walk or getting other exercise is also important, but nothing takes the place of play. Playing games together can also help you teach your dog some important lessons.
Remember to have fun when the two of you play. Don’t encourage any bad behaviors. And do be consistent with your dog. If you have other family members, be sure that everyone in the family knows the rules for play so your dog isn’t confused.
You and your dog can have a wonderful time together. Your dog can be happy and he can have the kind of exercise that makes him tired in a good way. And you can have a good time, too.